Davide is currently technical leader of the CROSSMINER EU H2020 project (January 2017 - December 2019). Recent reports state that the adoption of open-source software (OSS) helps, resulting in savings of about $60 billion per year to consumers. However, the use of OSS also comes at enormous cost: choosing among OSS projects and maintaining dependence on continuously changing software requires a large investment. Deciding if an OSS project meets the required standards for adoption is hard, and keeping up-to-date with an evolving project is even harder. It involves analysing code, documentation, online discussions, and issue trackers. There is too much information to process manually and it is common that uninformed decisions have to be made with detrimental effects.
CROSSMINER remedies this by automatically extracting the required knowledge and injecting it into the IDE of the developers, at the time they need it to make their design decisions. This allows them to reduce their effort in knowledge acquisition and to increase the quality of their code. CROSSMINER uniquely combines advanced software project analyses with online monitoring in the IDE. The developer will be monitored to infer which information is timely, based on readily available knowledge stored earlier by a set of advanced offline deep analyses of related OSS projects.
Moreover, Davide is (has been) involved in several other EU and Italian projects:
He actively participated to the proposal preparation phase of most of the projects listed above, from the project consortium establishment to the actual proposal preparation.
- Smart digital ecosystem for the Customer Experience Enhancement (from September 2014) - funded by the Ministry of Economic Development, the project concerns the introduction of advanced ICT technologies (social means, mobile apps and big data analytics) for introducing and supporting innovative business activities of Customer Services. Davide is (co-) coordinating the project together with the involved members of the DISIM department of the University of L'Aquila.
- Original in Touch (from September 2014) - Funded by the Ministry of Economic Development, the main objective of the project is the development of a hardware and software system to fight counterfeit. Davide is (co-)coordinating the project together with the involved members of DISIM department of the University of L'Aquila.
- Learn PAd - STREP EU project, FP7 (February 2014 - July 2016) - Learn PAd will build an innovative holistic e-learning platform for Public Administrations that enables process-driven learning and fosters cooperation and knowledge-sharing. Davide is contributing the definition of metamodels and languages underlying the modeling infrastructure of the e-learning platform being developed.
- OSSMETER - IST EU project, FP7 (October 2012 - March 2015) - OSSMETER aims to extend the state-of-the-art in the field of automated analysis and measurement of open-source software (OSS), and develop a platform that will support decision makers in the process of discovering, comparing, assessing and monitoring the health, quality, impact and activity of open-source software. Davide is leading one of the work packages aiming at defining metamodels and tools able to precisely represent project metadata that are necessary to analyse and compare open source projects.
- CHOReOS - IP EU project, FP7 (October 2010 - September 2013) - CHOReOS has implemented a framework for scalable choreography development. The goal was to enable domain experts to develop decentralized ultra-large scale (ULS) solutions composed of heterogeneous services that are adaptable and QoS (Quality-of-Service) aware In the project Davide has defined metamodels and model transformation tools supporting the specification of service choreographies in the context of distributed systems. Davide has also supported the management of the project.
- MANCOOSI - IST EU project, FP7 (February 2008 - May 2011) - The project has defined techniques and tools to manage the complexity of the open source infrastructure. Davide has (co-)coordinated one of the workpackages of the project and has leaded the development of EVOSS a model-based approach to support the upgrade of FOSS systems. EVOSS promotes the simulation of upgrades to predict failures before affecting the real system.
- PLASTIC - IST EU project, FP6 (February 2006 - February 2008) - The project has developed a platform enabling robust distributed lightweight services in the multi-radio networking environment. In this context Davide has contributed the definition of a model-driven approach to develop service-based ubiquitous systems. Davide has also supported the management of the project.